美食?No!这些与食物相关的习语可不那么简单!

遇到不熟悉的英语表达,我们很容易望文生义,造成理解上的错误。

比如,食物名称常出现在习语中,但表达的意思却千差万别!

 

Egghead?学究

a very studious person, intellectually gifted in the field of academics, a very intelligent person

勤奋好学,在学术上富有天赋,一个非常聪明的人

? I think Jane will do well in her finals. She has always been a kind of egghead from elementary school all the way through college.

我认为简会在期末考试中取得好成绩。从小学到大学,她一直都学得很好。

Big cheese 人物

an important and influential person

一个重要且有影响力的人

? Do you know Peter? He’s a big cheese at the company. He may help you to get a good job.

你认识彼得吗?他可是公司里的大人物,他可以帮助你在那里得到一份好工作。

Couch potato 极为懒惰的人,电视迷

a very lazy person who watches too much

一个很懒而且总是在看电视的人

? My uncle is a couch potato. You never see him without the remote control in his hand.

我的叔叔是一个电视迷。他的手里永远都拿着遥控器。

Tough cookie 不易受别人影响的人

a very determined person, durable and robust person, a person who is difficult to deal with

非常有决心,坚韧,难对付的人

? There is a tough cookie on the phone. He insists to talk to the manager. Shall I put him through?

打电话的这个家伙非常强硬,他坚持要和经理谈谈,我能把电话接给经理吗?

Bad apple 坏家伙

troublemaker, criminal

制造麻烦者,犯人

? He’s a real bad apple. If I were you, I wouldn’t let my daughter go out with him.

他真是个坏蛋。如果我是你,我就不会让我女儿跟他出去。

Top banana 主要人物

leader, boss, the chief person in a group, the head of a project

领导,老板,团队负责人,项目负责人

? I don’t know when we’ll finish. Ask Jack. He’s the top banana here.

我不知道我们什么时候结束,问杰克,他是我们这儿的头儿。