有一种英语表达叫:言下之意

话里有话,是中国人古老的语言技巧,常用来表达隐晦之意,英语自然也少不了这种表达方式,有些话听起来似乎含蓄有礼,但,其实是想隐晦地告诉你一些“言下之意”!

1.
We need to talk...
我们需要谈谈了...
言下之意:
About something you don't want to talk about.
谈的是一些你不想谈的事情。

2.
No offense, but...
不是想冒犯您,但是...
言下之意:
I'm going to say something offensive.
我要说一些冒犯你的话了。

3.
How do I put this gently...
我该怎么温柔地告诉你...
言下之意:
This is going to hurt.
下面我要说的可能比较伤人。

4.
You're gonna hate me for this...
你不会喜欢这个...
言下之意:
Because I'm about to say something horrible.
因为我要告诉你一些可怕的事情。

5.
Well, if you want the truth...
好吧,如果你想听真话...
言下之意:
I've been lying this entire time.
我其实,一直在撒谎。

6.
I hate to break it to you...
我很不愿意让你知道这个消息...
言下之意:
But prepare to be broken.
但还是做好崩溃的准备。

7.
I'm not trying to be mean...
我不想那么刻薄...
言下之意:
But I'm about to destroy you.
但,我要开始打击你了。

8.
I'd never say anything bad about him, but...
我从来不会说任何关于他的坏话,但是...
言下之意:
Never say never.
永远未必不会那么说。

9.
Yeah, about that...
关于那件事...
言下之意:
Everything we discussed is off the table.
我们讨论过的每件事就不再说了。

10.
I hate to be that person, but...
我讨厌成为那种的人,但是...
言下之意:
I AM that person.
我就是!那种人!!