那些既实用又地道的英语“叠词”

“寻寻觅觅,冷冷清清,凄凄惨惨戚戚”。叠词,在中文语句中,显得特有文采、特有诗意,念起来,别有一番风味。那么,在英语中是不是也有类似的“叠词”呢?

1、win-win?双赢

We are trying to establish a win-win relationship.

我们努力建立一种双赢的关系。

Free trade is not always a win-win situation.

自由贸易并非总是双赢局面。

2、drip-drip?雨水声,一点点

形容坏事缓慢发生的过程。

the drip-drip of bad news

一点点发布的坏消息

A steady drip-drip from the branches of the trees.

不断从树木的树枝上往下滴水之声。

Small independently-owned shops are disappearing with the steady drip, drip, drip.

个体小商店正渐渐消失。

3、chop-chop?快,赶快!

Come on, chop-chop, we’re late!

快,赶快,我们要迟到了!

4、so-so?马马虎虎; 不好不坏的

Their lunch was only so-so.

他们的午餐只能算是凑合凑合。

Although you spoke highly of the film, I just feel it’s so-so.

不管你怎么夸耀那部影片,我还是觉得它一般般。

5、pooh-pooh?对…不屑一顾,蔑视

I think you might pooh-pooh this idea.

我觉得你可能会对这个主意嗤之以鼻。

6、fifty-fifty?对半(的); 平分(的)

Let’s divide the prize fifty-fifty.

咱们平分奖金吧。

Why don’t we go fifty-fifty?

为什么我们不对半分?

There’s a fifty-fifty chance you are right.

有50%的可能性你是对的。

7、hush-hush?嘘声,秘密的

In the end he was forced to resign but it was all very hush-hush.

最后他被迫辞职,但这些全是秘密发生的。

This matter is hush-hush.

这件事要谨慎保密。

You don’t want to hush-hush his scandal to me.

你别想对我隐瞒他的丑事。

8、blah blah?用于代表无聊乏味的讲话

Oh blah blah blah – I’ve heard it all before!

哦,哇啦哇啦说了一大堆,都是我以前听过的!

9、no-no?禁忌

In the United States, asking the age of a lady is a big no-no.

在美国,问一位女士的年龄是一件绝对禁忌的事情。

We all know that cheating on our taxes is a no-no.

我们都知道偷税漏税是绝对不行的。

10、goody-goody?伪善的人; 老好人

He’s a bit of a goody-goody.

他是个老好人。

11、go-go?活跃的; 快速增长的

He’s a go-go person.

他是个十分活跃的人。

12、dum-dum?笨蛋

You dum-dums!

你们这些笨蛋!

Oh, you’re in trouble, dum-dum.

哦,你有麻烦了,笨蛋。